Sunday, August 28, 2005

New Orleans

I am very sad today. I am watching the coverage of Hurricane Katrina as it churns towards the Central Gulf Coast.

I lived in New Orleans for several years. I know that area all too well. When I lived there we would often talk about "The Big One" and what would happen if it hit.

Well, I guess we're about to see.

I fear that by Wednesday, towns like Venice, Grand Isle and Fourchon may no longer exist. The physical map of the United States is going to change with this storm.

The Mississippi River Levee System is undoubtedly the greatest feat of civil engineering this country has ever seen (yes, even beating out Boulder/Hoover Dam), but it is what it is - an attempt to control a mighty river. An attempt to control Mother Nature.

Mother Nature does not like to be controlled.

The natural course of the Mississippi River carries it south from Baton Rogue to Morgan City - what we know as the Atchafalaya Basin. Due to the Levee system, the River has been molded to serve New Orleans' need as a major Port city. With the coming flooding the Levee system in New Orleans will fail, but my hope is that it does not weaken the system to the point where we experience catastrophic failure. Basically, not even an Army of Dutch Boys will be able to save that Dike if it fails.

Most of my family from the area has evacuated. Many friends have as well, but there are still so many I haven't spoken to. I will worry about them until I can confirm their safety.

Vaya con dios, New Orleans and surrounding area. Be safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home