Monday, December 26, 2005

DC Rant

I am a DC Comics fan. I may not always like the stories, but I love the characters, so I will be loyal to them...to a point!

I've gotten way past the whole "Completist" mentality. I haven't bought a comic out of inertia for years. Nightwing is one of my favorite characters of all time...but I haven't bought his comic in possibly two years (I can't keep track of time) because it, well...let's just say that a Hoover Vacuum would be impressed by it's performance!

More than anything in comics, I hate "Change for change's sake."

Now, I'm not against change...but I would like to see it done well. Take the Waid-Kitson Legion of Super-Heroes comic. That was a huge change; however, it has been done so well with such care that I don't mind. That comic is now my favorite team comic on the market - even surpassing the JSA!!!!

I'm not opposed to change.

I'm opposed to Crappy change! And yes, that is a technical term!

A lot of what DC has coming up (rumored, admittedly), I'm not interested in because it seems like change for change's sake. I know it will be part of an ongoing story, but I'm at the point where I will change the channel on something that doesn't interest me, even if I'd been watching it for an hour already!

Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes...man, I was pissed about this, but I did read an interview with Waid that addressed my biggest concern - that the Legion would become supporting characters in their own title. Not so, according to him. That's good enough for me at this point. I will check it out.

Catwoman....ugh...if it isn't Selina, then I don't give a rat's patootie!

Hawkman....errr...Hawkgirl. Please. This is the stupidest thing DC is doing. If they are gong to relaunch titles, then they should do so here...where the god damned title character changes!!! Why continue the numbering of the Hawkman series? Was DC concerned that by cancelling Wonder Woman they would not have a high-numbered solo series for a female character? What the hell is the reasoning on this? It is one situation where I'd understand the new #1 for a new series!!!

Blue Beetle - preview art I've seen doesn't make me happy. He looks like Spawn. I'll be checking this out because I like Giffen!

Warlord - I will be trying it.

Wonder Woman and Flash - won't get either on principle.

JLA - I can't wait to see Meltzer on an ongoing with this team. Color me ecstatic about this! I can't wait to see the lineup!!!

Outsiders and Green Arrow....hehehehehe....yeah, like there's a chance in hell I'd buy these with One-Trick-Pony on the writing chores.

Birds of Prey - I don't like that they're adding new members to the team. Black Canary doesn't get enough time as is...give her a solo title or stop forcing her out of the one she regularly shows up in!!!!

Supergirl - I have to admit, I have been looking for reasons to drop this comic, but it keeps impressing me! The Nightwing and Flamebird solicitation only adds to that! Plus, Rucka gets a look from me on any title...well, not Catman (god forbid that ever happen).

Shadowpact...we'll see. I'll likely give it a shot, tho. I like most of the characters in it. I hope that we'll get a return of competent, cool Nightshade rather than this boring version we have now. Enchantress, Detective Chimp and Ragman are definate plusses here!!!

Other titles...well, I don't know. We'll see as we go!

1 Comments:

At 9:52 AM , Blogger David Bird said...

I used to think of this whole OYL strategy as change for change's sake, but someone pointed out to me that its a quick way to put the outcome of the Crisis behind them. A way to show the characters having already dealt with it.

So, I am taking a wait and see attitude. I think the ball is in DC's court, inasmuch as they have to prove themselves to me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home