Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Birthday, America!

Many happy returns! I know that a lot of people like to put you down, but remember what makes you great, and maybe you'll inspire greatness in others.

I'm watching "Look, Up in the Sky" on A&E right now. It is a history of the character of Superman from his inception to the present. It is discussing comics, the TV series', the movies, and the actors who played him.

They just finished talking about Smallville (which I still have not seen) and it was in this time that they started talking about the death of Christopher Reeve. I am not ashamed to admit that by the commercial break I was so misty-eyed I could barely see.

There is a quote from this film (well, technically it is from the original) made by Jor-El, played by Marlon Brando, that was used on the trailers, and it was used here on this special - it gives
me goosebumps every time I hear it:

"They can be a great people Kal-El. They wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way"

That line, especially with the music in the background, is so incredibly poignant. We, as a people, really can be capable of so much, as long as we allow ourselves to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home